The Sponsor of the Worldl in Focus Photography Contest is Photo District News®
"), 770 Broadway, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10003.
The World in Focus Photography Contest begins July 24, 2012 at 12:01 am Pacific Standard Time (PST) and ends Sept. 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm PDT. All Entries must be received by September 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm PST.
Entry fees are $35 per entry for professionals and $12 per entry for amateurs.
An additional fee of $10 is required for each entry received between 12:00 a.m. PDT on August 23, 2012, and 11:59 p.m. PDT on September 24, 2012.
From 7/24/12 - 7/31/12 Midnight PST we'll be taking 20% off of each entry ($28 Professional/$9.60 amateur)
WHO MAY ENTER
Employees of Photo District News®
, and each of their affiliates, subsidiaries and agents, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such individuals, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a prize. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of entry. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
HOW TO ENTER
- To enter electronically, please visit www.worldinfocus.com to register. Once the registration process has been completed, you will receive an e-mail confirmation. Simply log onto the Web site and follow the online instructions to upload images from your computer. Images formatted in JPEG or TIFF measuring at least 1,000 pixels on their long dimension are preferred. Images may be color profiled in sRGB, Adobe-1998, or not color-managed. For more information on electronic submission guidelines see our FAQ.
- You may enter any number of entries in any of the following categories (each a "Category"): Travel Portraits, Outdoor Scenes, Sense of Place, Spontaneous Moments, Photo Essay (up to six images that suggested a story around a travel theme).
- No mail-in entry is available for this Contest.
- Each Entry consists of an entry form, a single image (or series of 6 images for the 'Photo Essay' category), and an entry fee.
- Each submitted photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud, provided that entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close up of another person's art.
- If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorizing use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." If you are unable to provide a personal release, upon request by Sponsor and in the form provided by Sponsor, then your entry may be disqualified. You do not need to send the release with your entry. If you win, we will contact you if a model release is needed.
- The entries will be judged in accordance with the Judging Criteria, as defined below. The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsors, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Photographs deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
- On-line entries must be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, internet domain owner, or other person or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
THE POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE REQUIRED TO EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING: (1) AN AFFIDAVIT OF ELIGIBILITY AND LIABILITY RELEASE; (2) WARRANTY OF OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE; (3) PUBLICITY RELEASE; AND (4) ANY OTHER AFFIDAVITS AND/OR RELEASES OR ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED BY PRIZE SUPPLIER(S). UNLESS PROHIBITED BY LAW, THE POTENTIAL WINNERS MUST SIGN THESE DOCUMENTS NO LATER THAN 15 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION IN ORDER FOR SPONSORS TO AWARD THE PRIZE. NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND, AT SPONSORS' DISCRETION, SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE WINNER.
ONE PROFESSIONAL WINNER and ONE
AMATEUR WINNER will each receive:
A one-week, hands-on photo workshop in Maine,
courtesy of Maine Media Workshops.
FIVE PROFESSIONAL WINNERS and FIVE AMATEUR WINNERS will each receive:
- A DSLR camera
- 1-year PhotoServe portfolio ($860 value)
- 1-year subscription to PDN®
- $100 B&H gift card
Additional prizes will be announced.
- Contest consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round One, a panel of Photo District News® experts in photography (the "Judges") will each review a portion of the entries and select a group of entries in each Category to proceed to Round Two on the basis of creativity (34%), sense of place (33%) and capturing the moment (33%) (the "Judging Criteria"). In Round Two, the Judges will collectively select, from among the entries selected in Round One, a Grand Prize, a First Prize and a Second Prize winner, along with one merit prize winner in each Category, as well as all based on the Judging Criteria. Limit one prize per winner.
- Winners will be selected and notified by email on or about October 2012.
- Decisions of the Sponsors and Judges are final and binding.
- Sponsors reserve the right not to award all prizes in the event an insufficient number of eligible entries meeting the minimum judging criteria are received, as determined by Sponsors and Judges in their sole discretion.
- If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
- By participating, ALL ENTRANTS grant the Sponsors and their designees, licensees or affiliates (the "Authorized Parties") a non-exclusive, worldwide license, through July 24, 2014, to reproduce,
distribute, display and post the entries online so that viewers may view all competing entries. In addition, each WINNER grants to the Authorized Parties a license for use of his/her winning entry
in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to, print or digital publication in PDN magazine showcasing the winners;
and promotions related to the contest. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
THIRD PARTY RELEASES/LICENSES
Winners authorize The Nielsen Photo group to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the photograph entry in connection with The World in Focus Photo Contest and promotion of The World in Focus Photo Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including but not limited to: publication in PDN®
showcasing the winners; exhibit of the work at the PhotoPlus Expo 2012; The World in Focus Photo Contest live gallery; the World in Focus Photo Contest Web site and on PDNonline.com; and in exhibits and promotions related to the World in Focus Photo Contest.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By participating, entrants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Photo District News®
, and each of their respective partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Contest or any Contest-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
Sponsors assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, or delay in operation or transmission; communications line failure; theft or destruction of or unauthorized access to Contest entries or entry forms; or alteration of entries or entry forms. Sponsors are not responsible for any problems with or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, human errors of any kind, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrants' or any other persons' computers related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading of any materials related to this Contest.
This Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Certain restrictions may apply.
Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, mutilated, incomplete, illegible, misdirected, or postage-due mail.
-->Entries void if the Sponsor determines the entry to not be an original, or if the entries are illegible, incomplete, damaged, irregular, altered, counterfeit, produced in error or obtained through fraud or theft.
Participants also agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules; (b) that the decisions of the Judges are final on all matters relating to the Contest; and (c) if he/she wins that Sponsor may use each winner's name, photograph, likeness, and/or voice in any publicity or advertising relating to the Contest or future promotions without compensation or approval (except in Tennessee and where prohibited by law). All federal, state and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. In the event that the selected winner(s) of any prize are/is ineligible or refuses the prize, the prize will be forfeited and Sponsors, in their sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another entrant.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND CONTEST
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest. If Sponsors elect to cancel or terminate the Contest, Sponsors will not retain any rights in the submitted photographs and will return the entry fees.
Winners' names will be published in March 2013 issue of PDN®
online at www.worldinfocus.com.